Why Headington Boarding?
Boarding at Headington is a fantastic way to really take advantage of everything the School has to offer, from evening sessions in our gym or pool, to special-themed house dinners and treat nights.
Our boarders form special relationships with their house families and often make friends for life. One of our five Houses will provide a home from home for your daughter, with each House catering for different age ranges and allowing girls to take on different roles as they progress through the School.
Because we know that all families are different, we try to be as flexible as possible in what we offer, while making sure that we keep each girl’s best interests at the heart of what we do. There’s a range of different boarding opportunities to choose from, with full, weekly, half-weekly and occasional boarding on offer. Each has benefits to pupils and parents and fits the needs of the individual. There’s flexibility within that too – as a half-weekly boarder, your daughter can stay for an extra night at the beginning or end of the week if it suits your family.
Part Of A Community
Whether your daughter is an occasional boarder or full, whether she boards just for her Sixth Form years or throughout her time at Headington, she will be welcomed as part of our lively, diverse and supportive boarding family, forming lasting bonds with girls from all over the world. The memories and friendships your daughter makes as a boarder will be with her forever and we are privileged to be part of such a special time in her life.
Boarders enjoy a variety of food options, with different diets and preferences catered for. There are also termly suppers with an international theme and special house suppers where girls select the theme and menu.
Our Boarding Aims
Boarding at Headington is designed to enable all members of the community to facilitate the implementation of the school aims and is compliant with the National Minimum Boarding Standards:
- Create a safe and considerate environment where each pupil feels valued and cared for and promote an ethos of kindness and respect.
- Engage students in opportunities for teamwork and leadership roles through which pupils are able to develop self-confidence and the ability to work as an individual as well as a part of a team.
- Offer a stimulating and attractive range of activities and experiences for the enrichment of each girl.
- Encourage integration between day and boarding pupils and promote genuine cultural diversity.
- Provide levels of medical care, nutrition, accommodation and pastoral care that comply with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools and exceed them wherever possible.
What makes boarding at Headington special
- Home from home – each House has a strong, close-knit family atmosphere and boarders enthusiastically join in a huge range of special boarders’ events and activities.
- Clubs and activities – play a full part in clubs, teams, sports and activities without worrying about long, late commutes.
- Strong friendships – form special bonds in-house and make wider friendships across year groups.
Oxford – set in 23 acres a mile from the centre of beautiful and historic Oxford, boarders at Headington benefit from all that our wonderful city has to offer, from museums, concerts and galleries to shopping, leisure and close links with the two universities.
- Excellent transport links – easily accessible by bus, train and car, Headington is just an hour from Heathrow with an airport bus stopping outside our door every hour.
- No travel time – no more exhausting journeys at the beginning and end of the school day.
- Make family time count – your time together as a family can be fully enjoyed, free from homework and commuting stress, safe in the knowledge your daughter is well fed, rested and supported both academically and pastorally when she’s in her boarding house.
- Academic and emotional support – whether it’s help with homework from our boarding tutors or just someone to talk to, our comprehensive network of support ensures every girl feels looked after and relaxed when boarding at Headington.
Come And Visit
We hope to give you a glimpse of boarding life here but would encourage you to come and visit and get a feel for what boarding at Headington is really like. Our boarding team would be delighted to welcome you and show you around our facilities and our boarders are always proud to show off their Houses.